Thursday 4 June 2009

East Marton to Skipton 12 Locks.

We didn't intend going this far today as it was so hot, but there are no places to pull alongside on this stretch. The stone walling looks nice but there is a huge ledge just under the water which really gives the hull a sound bashing should you moor against it.

The hire boats are the only ones to put up with it, then its not their boat so its not for them to worry.

At the end of the day I was not a well bunny, standing on the back deck in the blazing sun with no hat (I know, I know) and not drinking any water (something I am always going on at D about) gave me Man sunstroke, not the same as Man flu I grant you but just as serious.

Copious amounts of water and a very early night sorted it out.

I now have a hat!! and in the true tradition of canal boaters everywhere it looks somewhat like a cowboy hat. I will post a picture when I feel brave enough.

Anyway two more pictures of that wonderful place below.


Not a cloud in the sky.
Here is yet another version of paddle gear, this time slanted and with fitted top winders.



Row after row of these terraces run away from the canal, they back onto each other so as you pass by the view alternates between roads then yards.

This is a dry stone walled side road leading off the main road crossing a bridge, imagine trying to make that turn on a dark night.

We have moved from Skipton and are once again out in the country amongst the Yorkshire Dales.

More to follow...............

No comments: